Day 2 - First Full Day
I was hoping Reagan (the person running the hostel) was wrong when she told me that I would wake up in the middle of the night. She was not. 3am and I’m suddenly wide awake like an alarm went off, despite being painfully tired. C’mon body, you’re better than this.
I fell back asleep after about an hour and slept until 6ish, when it started getting bright. I woke up to noises I’m pretty sure were wild monkeys, but apparently there is a bird in the area that sounds just like a monkey. I choose to believe it was monkeys making the “ooh ooh ah ah” noises.
Discovery of the day (as of 9am): not all eggs have bright yellow/orange yolks.
They delivered a jug of (drinking) water for me to keep in my room with an attached pump – definitely going to need that to keep up with the heat. Most of the day was spent reading “The Whole-Brain Child” with a few naps when I couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer. The weather was beautiful, as I expect it to be almost every day. The equator is my kind of climate, though some people (Carl) would probably not be a fan of the high temperature and mild humidity.
I did not expect to feel like
I was in a resort when I got here, but it’s hard to remember why I’m here since
I’m “quarantined” and having meals delivered to me while I lounge around. It’s
also hard to remember where I am when my meals have included Kung Pao chicken
and a chicken hummus bowl. This neighborhood is far from the authentic culture
that I was expecting (and hoping) to be experiencing, but it certainly makes
for an easy adjustment to being across the world. I’m sure I’ll get plenty of
that once I start working with IH.

I could be wrong, but I Googled it to satisfy my curiosity and you should be able to eat injera just fine if it’s actually just made with teff...and ps, it’s delicious 😋
ReplyDeleteI hadn't checked, but you are right. Not sure if it's glutenous around here or my host was overly careful because it's bread-like. I'll ask my gluten free boss. Thanks for mentioning it! Where/when did you have some?
DeleteThey use wheat flour here, at least where they're making my food. :(
DeleteHaving a menu with your name on it looks pretty fancy, especially with the strict times that make you seem extra important to take care of :-). That's awesome they have experience to take care of your gluten free needs!
ReplyDeleteMaybe my name will show up this time.
DeleteThe strict times aren't quite as strict in practice as they are in theory. They're usually here within 30-45 minutes of the scheduled time, which is fine with me.
Delete